Sometimes the UFC reads our minds and puts together great scraps. But sometimes they completely miss the boat on a sick fight. I have compiled a list of fights that need to happen at each weight class that I hope will come together:
• After a big win, John Dodson was fired up and ready for another title shot. He has actually a few options seeing as that his fight with Demetrious Johnson was so close and he was able to win the title of “The Ultimate Fighter” by defeating the current bantamweight champion TJ Dillashaw. However, put those title shots on hold. The fight that the fans need to see at 125 is Dodson vs Benavidez. Benavidez has only lost to Dominick Cruz twice and DJ twice. Similar to Urijah Faber, he just can’t seem to win the big fight to secure himself a title. Put him against Dodson and expect a hugely important and highly entertaining scrap. Perfect headliner for a FS1 or Fight Pass main event.
• In the women’s 135 pound division a previously scheduled fight needs to be rescheduled. Of course I am talking about Sarah vs Sara. Let Sarah Kaufman fight Sara McMann to settle whether the “h” is necessary at the end of their name. This bout was highly anticipated before McMann had to withdraw from the fight. Despite coming up very short against Ronda Rousey, both girls are near the top of the division.
• I have been thinking that Takeya Mizugaki is the “Matt Brown” of the bantamweight division. He is exciting and all he does is win. Let him test his skills against the young stud Michael McDonald in a fight that is sure to contend for Fight of the Night. If Mizugaki wins, you have a new title challenger at 135. Should he lose, McDonald is right back in the title mix following losses to Barao and Faber.
• Cub Swanson probably deserves a title shot if he can get through Jeremy Stephens. However, wouldn’t we much rather see him in a Fight of the Year banger with another top striker/grappler? Cub vs the Korean Zombie anyone? I say make it happen regardless to Cub’s result against Stephens.
• Remember when TJ Grant beat Gray Maynard to earn himself a title shot against Benson Henderson? Me neither. In fact with Pettis on the shelf I can’t remember a title fight at 155 period. Henderson said in his victory speech following his 1st Octagon victory that he is the champ since nobody else is defending the belt. Should TJ be healthy enough to fight again, I would love to see that Grant/Henderson bout come into fruition.
• Tarec Saffiedine is the former Strikeforce Welterweight Champion and an underappreciated member of the welterweight division’s top 10. He needs a high-profile fight. Rory MacDonald is likely getting a title shot but knows he is likely behind the Brown/Lawler winner for the top contender spot. In order to stay active I think these guys need to duke it out. This would be a perfect fight in Toronto at UFC 178.
• Dan Henderson wants to go back to middleweight after getting outmuscled by Daniel Cormier. I think Henderson/Bisping 2 is a fight that nobody would be upset about. Hendo could H-bomb him again or the newly married Brit can get back in the W column following his most disappointing fight to date against Kennedy.
• Another previously scheduled fight that needs to get put back together is the aforementioned Daniel Cormier and Rashad Evans. DC vs Jones would be a huge sell if Cormier can get through a legit top 5 contender. As for Rashad, this puts him right back in position to battle for the belt as well.
• All our hopes and dreams have been met when the UFC put Mark Hunt on the schedule to battle Roy Nelson. However, the JDS/Overeem fight that was cancelled a ways back needs to come together again. Junior is a long way from the title since he just lost 2 fights to Velasquez in about a year’s time. So basically he should be scheduled to fight exciting strikers to entertain the masses. Between Junior’s stardom in Brazil and Overeem’s prowess in Europe, this fight could happen anywhere. It is also worth noting a fight between Josh Barnett and basically anyone would be awesome.
cover image via UFC