Tonight’s all Mexican battle between Canelo Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KO’s) and Julio Cesar Chavez turned out to be anything but. For 12 straight rounds, Alvarez battered Chavez en route to a 120-108 x 3 decision victory. He didn’t even sit on his stool once between rounds. This was a glorified exhibition for Alvarez at best. The real story came after the decision was announced.
Sitting ringside for the duration of the fight with his trainer Abel Sanchez, Gennady Golovkin (37-0, 33 KO’s) made a pre planned entrance to the ring, White Stripes entrance music and all, after being called out by Canelo.
“Golovkin, you are next my friend. Where are you!?” – Canelo
While the two never engaged in a formal staredown (good move – make the fans wait for it) pleasantries were exchanged between the two gentleman. The fight has been confirmed for September 16th of this year and the timing couldn’t be better for Canelo following Golovkin’s controversial decision win over Daniel Jacobs earlier this year.
“Good luck in September,” Golovkin said to Canelo when asked by Max Kellerman if he had any parting words for his next opponent. “Luck is for the mediocre my friend,” Canelo quickly responded. The fight will be contested at middleweight (160 lbs) and will take place inside of the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
While trash talk certainly sells more PPV’s, this may be as dirty as these two get on the mic in what will be a monumental build up to the late summer battle. And really, there’s no need for things to get nasty outside of the ring here. This is the fight boxing fans having been waiting for and unlike when Mayweather took on Pacquiao, they’re finally going to get it while these two men are at the top of their game. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. That said, September 16th can’t come soon enough.
— HBOboxing (@HBOboxing) May 7, 2017