Jon Jones could’ve had a shot at becoming a 2-division UFC champion later this year. Instead, it looks like he may be taking an extended break from competition.
During an impromptu press scrum following tonight’s edition of Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series, UFC President Dana White talked to the press about the breaking news of Jones’ most recent failed drug test. Here’s what we learned.
• The UFC was looking at doing Stipe Miocic versus Jon Jones in Detroit later this year. That fight would’ve headlined UFC 218 which is set for December 2nd at Little Caesars Arena. We’ll see if the plan is to keep Miocic on the card considering that he’s a big star in the Midwest with his hometown of Ohio being a couple of hours away.
• Cormier will be champion if Jones if found “culpable”.
• If it is indeed as steroid, Jones could face a maximum punishment of 4 years per UFC Vice President of Athlete Health and Performance Jeff Novitzky.
• Novitzky went on to say that “Jones is afforded due process”.
• The UFC may hand down further punishment to Jones beyond what USADA gives him.