Sandwiched in between the best booked UFC Brazil card of all-time and the most anticipated landmark mixed martial arts event since UFC 100, UFC 199 is like the ugly red headed step child that no one was really expected a whole heck of a lot from to begin with. As expected, the card didn’t make it without a major shake up at the top – crossing your fingers simply isn’t enough anytime Weidman and Cruz are involved – but we’re actually looking at a super solid PPV.
You could argue that UFC 199 has been booked just a little better than UFC 99, a card that featured a catchweight main event between Wanderlei Silva and Rich Franklin, the return of Mirko Cro Cop and a couple of future big name headliners in Cain Velasquez and Dan Hardy. There were no title fights on that night, a night where the UFC would touch down in Germany for the very first time.
Tonight, the main event of the evening features a very intriguing main event between the hottest middleweight in the game, the champ, Luke Rockhold, and a man who is coming off the biggest win of his career in Michael Bisping. In the co-main, we have a trilogy bout between two men that has spanned nearly 10 years. When it comes to Urijah Faber and Dominick Cruz – there is no love lost. Don’t expect the winner to invite the loser to a BBQ after this one is over.
The PPV portion will be opens with a fan friendly fight between lightweights Dustin Poirier and Bobby Green that will be followed by a couple of sluggers in Dan Henderson and Hector Lombard. Before the two titles are defended, a featherweight bout between the surging Hawaiian, Max Holloway, and Ricardo Lamas will answer some questions for the 145 lbs division.
Below, you’ll find the quick and dirty results for tonight’s fights out of Inglewood, CA. Look out for a new episode of The MMA, Cats & Movies Show talking all things UFC 199 after the fights.
Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass – 6:15 PM ET)
• Lightweight Bout: “Marco” Polo Reyes (6-2) defeats “Maestro” Dong Hyun Kim (13-8-3) via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 1:52
• Middleweight Bout: Kevin Casey (9-4-1) and Elvis Mutapcic (15-4-1) fight to a majority draw (28-29, 29-28, 28-28)
• Light Heavyweight Bout: Luis Henrique da Silva (11-0) defeats Jonathan Wilson (7-1) via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 4:11
• Welterweight Bout: Sean Strickland (18-1) defeats Tom Breese (10-1) via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
Preliminary Card (FS1 – 8 PM ET)
• Featherweight Bout: Alex Caceres (12-8) defeats Cole Miller (21-10) via UD (29-28 x 2, 30-27)
• Women’s Strawweight Bout: Jessica Andrade (14-5) defeats Jessica Penne (12-4) via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 2:56
• Lightweight Bout: Beneil Dariush (13-2) defeats James Vick (9-1) via KO (punch) – Round 1, 4:16
• Featherweight Bout: Brian Ortega (11-0) defeats Clay Guida (32-17) via TKO (knee) – Round 3, 4:40
Main Card (PPV – 10 PM ET)
• Lightweight Bout: Dustin Poirier (20-4) defeats Bobby Green (23-7) via KO (punches) – Round 1, 2:53
• Middleweight Bout: Dan Henderson (32-14) defeats Hector Lombard (34-6-1) via KO (elbows) – Round 2, 1:27
• Featherweight Bout: Max Holloway (16-3) defeats Ricardo Lamas (16-5) via UD (30-27 x 3)
• Bantamweight Title Bout: Dominick Cruz (c) (22-1) defeats Urijah Faber (33-9) via UD (50-45 x 2, 49-46)
• Middleweight Title Bout: Michael Bisping (29-7) defeats Luke Rockhold (15-3) via KO (punches) – Round 1, 3:36 to become the new UFC middleweight champion
MMA1 month ago
UFC 241 ‘Cormier vs. Miocic 2’ PPV Pick ‘Em
MMA2 months ago
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly: UFC 240 Edition
Box3 weeks ago
GGG vs. Derevyanchenko to decide future of boxing’s middleweight division
Box1 month ago
The Build-Up: Kovalev vs Yarde
MMA1 week ago
Diaz vs. Masvidal confirmed for UFC 244 MSG Main Event
MMA1 week ago
UFC 242: Khabib returns to form in Abu Dhabi, submits Poirier in 3
Box3 days ago
Meet Devin Haney: DAZN’s Superstar of The Future
Box2 days ago
Jaime Munguia Steps into the Spotlight