Below is my recap of Monday Night Raw took place from the Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, South Carolina.
The Big Takeaway:
Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins had the match of the night but the triple-threat match between Finn Balor, Samoa Joe and Bray Wyatt was a close second. Also sneak attacks, cryptic text messages and a cringe worthy segment with Alexa Bliss and Bayley all happened on the go-home episode of Extreme Rules.
Miz TV Segment: The Miz (w/Maryse) Cesaro & Sheamus
Miz came out and reminded everyone if Ambrose gets disqualified he will lose the Intercontinental title at Extreme Rules. Miz then brought out Cesaro & Sheamus. Sheamus said the WWE Universe turned their backs on “The Swiss Superman” when the Hardy Boyz returned at WrestleMania. WWE Universe chanted “Delete” The Lunatic Fringe came out and yapped. Miz said he had Cesaro and Sheamus backing him up but Ambrose also had backup as the Hardyz came out and cleared the ring.
Dean Ambrose, Matt & Jeff Hardy def. The Miz, Cesaro & Sheamus
The heels took control of Ambrose early on. Ambrose recovered and made the hot tag to Matt after delivering the rebound clothesline to Cesaro. Matt delivered the Side Effect to Miz as Sheamus broke up the count. Everything broke down in the end as Ambrose delivered the Dirty Deeds to Cesaro and followed it up with a tope to Sheamus. Hardy gave Miz a swinging neckbreaker, which was supposed to be a Twist of Fate then tagged in Jeff as he delivered the Swanton Bomb to the Miz for the win.
- Michael Cole talked to Booker T after the match but Corey Graves left the announcer’s table after receiving a text message.
Backstage Segment: Kurt Angle & Corey Graves
- Graves shared the text message with Raw General Manager Kurt Angle. Angle was concerned after reading a cryptic text message. Graves said he’s doing a good job.
Elias Samson def. Zac Evans
The Drifter was in the ring had a spotlight on him as he played his guitar and sang a song for the WWE Universe. Oh yeah Samson also had a squash match against Zac Evans as he defeated him with a swinging neck breaker.
Backstage Segment: Charly Caruso interviewing Samoa Joe
- Joe was in the middle of cutting a heel promo but was interrupted by Wyatt who was in his secret lair as “The Eater of Worlds” cut another spooky promo saying that he could only defeat Brock Lesnar and told Balor and Joe to run.
Samoa Joe def. Bray Wyatt and Finn Balor — Triple Threat Match
Highlights included a Tower of Doom spot where Balor took a superplex from Joe and Wyatt delivered a powerbomb to Joe out of the corner. Balor delivered a tope con hilo to both Joe and Wyatt to the floor. Joe and Wyatt double teamed Balor but didn’t last long as Wyatt attacked Joe. Balor made a comeback by delivering back-to-back missile dropkicks into the barricade.
Balor got out of the Coquina Clutch by running of the top turnbuckle and delivering a double stomp to Joe. Wyatt attempted a Sister Abigail but Balor delivered a pele kick and a double stomp to Wyatt. Balor went for a sling blade but Joe countered with a over-head belly-to-belly. Wyatt delivered the Sister Abigail to Joe. But from behind Balor delivered a sling blade, a running dropkick and the Coup De Grace to Wyatt. But Joe ran Balor’s shoulder into the ring post and pinned Wyatt.
- Everyone looked good as Balor, Joe and Wyatt got the chance to shine and showcase their move set. Really good match.
Backstage Segment: Mike Rome interviewing Seth Rollins
- Rollins cut a promo saying that he knows Joe but knows Reigns even better and said they had a shaky relationship. Rollins said he owns Reigns and is ready to change history on Sunday.
Rich Swann (w/Sasha Banks) def. Noam Daar (w/Alicia Fox)
Highlights included Swann delivering a somersault leg drop from the turnbuckle. Swann went to the top rope but was distracted by Fox. Banks tripped Fox as she prevented her from interfering. Finish came with Swann delivering the Phoenix Splash for the win.
- After the match Swann grooved to the beat of his theme and asked Banks to join him which she did.
— TDE Wrestling (@totaldivaseps) May 30, 2017
Backstage Segment: Charly Caruso interviewing The Revival
- Charly interview Scott Dawson and Chad Wilder. Wilder still had his jaw wired shut. Charly asked if they took out Enzo last week, Dawson said they weren’t on Raw for the past six weeks. Caruso showed footage from last week. Dawson said Caruso’s question wasn’t specific enough and said Enzo is a bottom-feeder in the WWE.
Announcers Segment: Michael Cole, Booker T & Corey Graves
- The announcers discussed the footage as Graves said Big Cass saw the footage and implied that Cass took out Enzo last week. After showing footage from the street fight between Akira Tozawa and Brian Kendrick from 205 Live, Cass came out and stormed the announcer’s table. Graves quickly apologized as Cass accepted it.
Titus O’Neil def. Kalisto
After losing to Kalisto last week on Raw, O’Neil had his chance against Kalisto this week. In a really short match O’Neil won by grabbing a hand full of tights for the win. After the match Titus took a selfie with Crews.
In-Ring Segment: Bayley “This is Your Life” hosted by Alexa Bliss
Raw Women’s Champion Alexa Bliss came out for “Bayley, This is Your Life” segment. Bliss guest included a 4th grade teacher, an ex-best friend and a ex-boyfriend. Bliss continued on with her promo as Bayley finally came out and attacked Bliss. Bayley tried to grab the Kendo stick from the pole but Bliss pulled her down. Bliss grabbed a Kendo stick from under the ring and whacked Bayley.
- WWE tried to recreate the magic from The Rock: This is Your Life! segment with Mick Foley from September 1999. But this segment didn’t work and really dragged. Bliss is awesome but not ready to pull out a segment like this on her own.
Backstage Segment: Enzo Amore laid out again
- Enzo was laid out again as Cass asked Angle if The Revival did this? Angle said the Revival left the building as Cass said he’s never leaving Enzo alone.
Austin Aries & Jack Gallagher def. Neville & TJP via Submission
In a preview of their upcoming submission match at Extreme Rules. Austin Aries stood tall tonight as the Cruiserweight Champion Neville tapped out to the Last Chancery.
Backstage Segment: Mike Rome interviewing Roman Reigns
- Reigns said no one owns him and will show everyone why the ring is his yard.
Backstage Segment: Charly Caruso interviewed Neville
- Charly asked Neville if he’s concerned about losing by submission. Neville just walked away.
Backstage Segment: Goldust & R-Truth Promo
Goldust was seen in the directors chair cutting another old school vignette promo on R-Truth. But this week R-Truth responded with his own vignette promo by saying Goldust “You’re gonna get got.”
Roman Reigns def. Seth Rollins
This was a great back-and-forth match as highlights included Rollins going for a spring-board but caught with a Superman Punch for a near fall. Rollins delivered the buckle bomb in the corner but Reigns no sold the move bounced of the ropes and delivered another Superman Punch. Rollins then delivered a top rope blockbuster and a five-star frog splash for great near falls. Rollins went for the Phoenix Splash but Reigns moved out of the away. Reigns went for the spear but Rollins sidestepped him and went for his Rainmaker knee finish but Reigns dodged delivered a huge spear and pinned Rollins.
- Just an awesome match as Reigns and Rollins were terrific as the WWE Universe were behind both superstars. Wouldn’t mind seeing another match as they have great in-ring chemistry.
Rollins and Reigns had a terrific match and the triple-threat match was also very good. The Bliss segment was terrible and brought the show down. But overall WWE did a good job by building up Extreme Rules and might have some good story lines going with Enzo and bringing Graves into the mix.
— — — — — — — —
My Social Media Feed:
Follow Me on Twitter: @AminAjani
Box2 years ago
Post-Fight Press Conference: Deontay Wilder vs. Tyson Fury
Bellator3 years ago
Bellator 206 ‘Mousasi vs. MacDonald’ weigh-in video + results
MMA3 years ago
Dallas On The Rise: UFC 228’s Hometown Fighters
BKFC3 years ago
Bare Knuckle FC 2 ‘A New Era’ fight card, live stream for ‘Rawlings vs. Hart’
MMA3 years ago
John Malkovich narrates ‘There Can Only Be One King’ UFC 229 PPV open
Box3 years ago
Mayweather widely backed to beat Pacquiao again
Box3 years ago
24/7: Canelo vs. Golovkin 2 (Full Episode)
MMA2 years ago
UFC Fight Night 153 Prediction: Gustafsson vs. Smith